About UsWe are a congregation of the
of Eastern Australia.
We are reformed and presbyterian.
Presbyterianism is a form of Protestant Christianity,
primarily in the Reformed branch of Christendom, as well
as a particular form of church government. Its primary
tenets include the Five solas: Scripture alone, faith
alone, Christ alone, grace alone, glory to God alone. It
is practised by many (although not all) of those
Protestant churches which historically subscribed to the
teachings of John Calvin (known as Reformed churches).
Presbyterianism traces its institutional roots back to
the Scottish Reformation, especially as led by John
Primary Church PrinciplesWe are Reformed in
doctrine and practice. Our primary church principles
independence: the church as a spiritual society
is founded and upheld by the Lord Jesus Christ, "the
only Head of the Church".
Principle: the civil powers have a duty to
assist and fortify the godly proceedings of the Church
according to the word of God.
Principle: An express warrant from the
Scriptures is necessary for all parts of public
The induction of Rev Dr MacIntosh MacKay to the third
charge of the Presbyterian Church of Eastern
Australia (PCEA) in Sydney, in May 1856, marked the
commencement of the congregation which became known as St
Georges. The congregation at first met in a rented hall
in George Street and later in the School of Arts building
in Pitt Street. In early 1860 it moved into its newly
constructed church, St Georges, in Castlereagh Street.
The second minister, Rev William McIntyre from Maitland,
had been the leader in the movement during 1846, which
led to the formation of the PCEA in the colony of NSW. He
continued this witness to the distinctive principles of
the Free Church of Scotland in the city during his
After 1864/65, when the union of the different
Presbyterian groups in NSW took place, six ministers and
about ten congregations remained with the PCEA and St
Georges became the city congregation of the denomination.
The congregation continued to grow and attract those who
were sympathetic to Evangelical Preaching, Reformed Faith
and Purity of Worship.
The changing demographic of the city brought changes
in the makeup of the membership of all Christian churches
in the city. Many worshippers now travelled to St Georges
from the newly developing suburbs to the south-west and
east. By 1900, as the city became a more commercial and
industrial centre, most worshippers lived outside the
boundaries of the city of Sydney.
The long ministry of the fourth minister, Rev William
McDonald, brought stability to the congregation. The
numbers attending St Georges were increased by those who
had moved from the country areas to live in Sydney or had
arrived with the new wave of migration from the United
Kingdom, and appreciated the Biblical preaching of the
Reformed Faith maintained by Rev McDonald and the church
The distresses of the depression and war years,
1930-1945, were felt by the members, but by the grace of
God, their faith in and loyalty to the Saviour meant the
continuation of the congregation.
The present minister, Rev John McCallum, is the ninth
minister of the congregation and was inducted to the
charge in June 1985.
St Georges has encouraged the commencement of two new
charges in the outer suburbs: one at Mt Druitt and the
other in the Southern suburbs during 1972-1989.
Currently, the congregation draws its worshippers not
only from the city business district, but from Berowra in
the north, Cronulla in the south and Penrith in the west.
We are happy to welcome many overseas visitors when they
come to the city. The increased number of Christian folk
from different Asian countries who worship with us has
widened our awareness of the wonderful working of our God
in His grace of salvation to every nation. We give Him
all Praise and Glory for His Preserving Grace.
Copyright © 2010 St Georges Presbyterian
Church of Eastern Australia. All rights reserved.